Orchestral Excerpt Corrections
Date: 2009-04-09 20:06
Many of the widely used clarinet orchestral excerpt books have wrong notes, misprints, errors, etc...which need correction. Although expressive markings and articulations can also slightly differ from publisher to publisher, incorrect notes are, at this point, probably an easier agreed upon fix. Thus, it would be very helpful to compile a data base of NOTE mistakes and their needed corrections.
We all probably agree that the best way to learn orchestral excerpts is to
obtain the COMPLETE PART, but if that is not possible and you use excerpt
books, it is essential that you have, at least, the correct notes.
For me, one of the more error prone volume is Volume II of "Orchestral Excerpts" (McGinnis/International Music). Most of these misprints
are painfully obvious, but, especially for teaching purposes, fixing these
errors are important.
Page 8 - Beethoven Sym No. 9
- 3rd movement, both parts should be for clarinet in Bb
- 3rd movement, bottom part should be marked clarinet 2 (not clarinet 3)
[ courtesy of Rachel Roessel ]
Page 10 - Brahms Sym No 3
- 1st line, measure 4, first note should be F natural.
- 5th line, last note in 1st measure needs a leger
line to make it a B.
- 9th line, 1st measure, the first qurter note A is
missing the leger line.
Page 20 - Borodin Polovetski (sic) Dances
- 4th line, last note in the second measure should be G, not F
Page 23 - Franck Symphony
- 1st line, first note in the last measure should be B. It is missing the leger line
Page 25 - Stravinsky Petrouchka
- 4th line, 32nd note A is missing the leger line, and the D# grace note (2 notes from the end of the same line) is also missing the 2 leger lines
Page 28 - Shostakovich Sym No 5
- 1st line, 4th measure, should be G#, not G natural
Page 28 - Shostakovich Sym No 9
- 2nd line, 5th measure should be Db, not D.
- 4th line, last note: Boosey and Hawkes pocket score has G, Kalmus score has a Gb. Peter Hadcock's book shows a G.
There certainly may be other corrections needed for Volume II, and I welcome
others adding to the list of ones I might have missed.
|| International Volume 2 Errata new
The Clarinet Pages
is sponsored by: