Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000466.txt from 2002/05

From: Audrey Travis <>
Subj: Re: [kl] A grunt????
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 02:45:15 -0400

People on the list were discussing the sound of 3rd line Bb and I believe
someone asked about ideas for improving the stuffy sound of it. I made a
suggestion to have a "grunt" installed as was done for me by my local
repairman. Someone yesterday asked what this was - perhaps you missed the
reply: a small piece of metal shaped like a sharpened pencil lead. The broad
end is attached to the center of the register key pad. It has made a huge
difference in my Bb - almost crystal clear.


Kimber wrote:

> I hate to sound terribly ignorant, but what the heck is a grunt? I have only
> played for three years, and haven't heard of this. I mean, there's the grunt
> you make when pushing/pulling a heavy object, but I don't think this is one
> and the same. For some reason, it just doesn't look like it. Call it
> Well, please inform me what this strange thing is!
> Sincerely,
> Kimber
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------


     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact