Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000467.txt from 2002/02

From: "mlmarmer" <>
Subj: Re: [kl] Music Insurance...was Chipped/Cracked Tenons...AUGH!!
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:29:50 -0500


Thank you so much for the information. Your email to the person with the
damaged clarinet, made me think of how much it would cost to replace an R13
in today's dollars. And that wood is fragile!

Thanks again and I will give them an email,

----- Original Message -----
From: "CBA" <>
Subject: [kl] Music Insurance...was Chipped/Cracked Tenons...AUGH!!

> Hi Mike,
> The company I have the insurance through is Sterling
> and Sterling in New York State (somewhere in Long
> Island, outside of New York City.) The union (my music
> union is local 802) gave me information on the
> insurance, and I believe you might have to be in the
> union to get the rates I get (which are really low)
> but they may insure people outside the union.
> MusicPro is a national company insuring instruments.
> Here is the link for both companies.
> I STRONGLY suggest this kind of insurance. Homeowner's
> insurance is not only more expensive, but only covers
> blue book worth (the two companies above take the
> amount you insure it for, which is "replacement" cost,
> not worth...very different.) You can have $3,000 worth
> of coverage for about $50/yr, *plus* they also give
> you up to $5000 insurance for electronics/stereo
> equipment FREE in addition to the instrument coverage,
> just for insuring your instruments through them. I
> remember over a decade ago, my parents had my old
> clarinet insured for blue book rates through the
> homeowner's policy. The insurance rider cost them $40
> a year for $1000 coverage for a "used instrument." Not
> only would this not have covered replacement, but for
> $3,000 insurance, it would have cost $120/year, and
> that was in the late 80s.
> Homeowners insurance doesn't cover breakage due to
> wear or droppage, car running over instrument, etc.
> Music instrument insurance DOES.
> Most importantly...homeowners insurance only covers
> instruments IN YOUR HOME OR CAR. If you are in a mall
> and the instrument is next to you on a bench, and then
> swiped by someone, IT'S NOT COVERED.
> I have had friends lose instruments or the instrument
> is broken without's really sad when they
> can't afford to buy another instrument and have to
> stop playing.
> *off the soapbox*
> Kelly Abraham
> Woodwinds - New York City
> --- mlmarmer <> wrote:
> > CBA,
> >
> > Where do you get insurance for an musical
> > instrument. Can it be added as a
> > "listed" item under homeowners?
> >
> > Please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks, Mike Marmer Germantown, MD > Go Terps!
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Sports - Coverage of the 2002 Olympic Games
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------


     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact