Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000039.txt from 2001/02

From: (William Wright)
Subj: RE: [kl] Re: question about recorders
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:37:56 -0500

<><> Grant=A0Green wrote:
The alto and bass recorders are "in F" in the sense that the lowest note
they play is an F, but the music is not transposed.

Whistles are named this way also. "D whistle" means that its
lowest note is a D, not that it is tuned to D. Thus if you read and
finger C on a "D whistle", the result is C according to your tuner.
It's just historical accident that these instruments were named this

The *inexpensive* recorders and whistles --- I don't know anything
about concert level instruments --- can play a couple of sharps, but not
a full chromatic scale (so far as I know). Therefore they can play
music written in several different keys without transposing, but only a
few different keys.
With most whistles and recorders, you can "half hole" (cover half
of the hole with your finger) on a couple of holes in order to get
additional notes. Most recorders have a two 'holes' drilled
side-by-side into a single depression, such that you can half-hole more
precisely by covering only one of the two smaller holes in the


Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail:
Subscribe to the Digest:
Additional commands:
Other problems:

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact