Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000025.txt from 2001/02

From: Takashi Kawai <>
Subj: [kl] Re: question about recorders
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 00:00:26 -0500

Bobby Mac <> wrote:

> the plastic recorders that many schools use for music classes. What key
> are they in? is it C?

I'm not sure what kind of recorders is used for musical education in
your country, but I guess it might be soprano (descant) recorder. It is
C, but sounds an octave higher as written. In Japanese elementary schools,
soprano (descant) recorder is used for small hand boys/girls. Some
students study music with alto recorder (F, sounds as written) in junior
high schools.

Alto recorder is F, however the music for it is not written in F.

> friend's daughter wants to learn it and was wondering what kind of music
> she could play

Any kinds of music! However, I'd recommend Jacob van Eyk's (sp?)
"Der Fluyten Lust-hof." Original works for recorder in the Barock era
are usually written for alto, but these variations are written for soprano.

Takashi Kawai
Takatsuki / Japan

Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail:
Subscribe to the Digest:
Additional commands:
Other problems:

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact