Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000200.txt from 2000/09

From: Roger Shilcock <roger.shilcock@-----.uk>
Subj: Re: [kl] Bernstein's Bernstein
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 03:45:28 -0400

No doubt Mr Bernstein hoped very much that lots of people would buy this
recording.
Roger S.

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 rgarrett@-----.edu wrote:

> Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:00:51 -0500
> From: rgarrett@-----.edu
> Reply-To: klarinet@-----.org
> To: klarinet@-----.org
> Subject: Re: [kl] Bernstein's Bernstein
>
> At 12:28 AM 08/28/2000 +0100, you wrote:
> Dan Leeson wrote (in jest but without any corroborating evidence to support):
> >> That's because Carreras couldn't get the rhythms right!!
>
> Tony Pay responded:
> >So, perhaps my deduction from the video of the recording, that
> >Bernstein, at that moment, agreed with me that Carreras didn't have an
> >acceptable style for West Side Story, was mistaken.
> >
> >(Perhaps he agreed with me at the time, but changed his mind
> >afterwards.)
>
> I don't see any evidence to support this fact other than Dan Leeson's
> comment. Are you basing what you say above on Dan's comment? Your
> speculation is appreciated - it might even be on target as far as the
> general layman might go, but it is not substantiated in any credible way.
> In fact, it is borne out by Bernstein's comments.
>
> >However, I still maintain that Carreras *didn't*, and *doesn't*, have an
> >acceptable style for West Side Story.
>
> You may maintain whatever you believe. It is your right to have an opinion
> - and I am very interested in your thoughts about the recording.
>
> >And that's regardless of what 'Bernstein', then or later, thought.
>
> And you may refute the actual words of the composer if you like. Again,
> this is your right. I am always interested in your postings as they relate
> to music.
>
> >Notice how assessments 'from authority', as opposed to arguments,
> >pervade your judgements.
>
> I guess I don't agree with you on this Tony. My judgements are based on a
> discussion with the composer of the works after the recording session was
> complete. I am reporting only what the composer told me - specifically.
>
> I think I understand why you feel the way you do, and you are certainly
> free to state whatever you like regarding your opinion. I just wish you
> would not make assumptions about my judgement when I have not given a
> judgement - I have only reported factual events as they occurred.
>
> Best wishes,
> Roger Garrett
>
>
> Roger Garrett
> Professor of Clarinet
> Director, Symphonic Winds
> Advisor, IWU Recording Services
> Illinois Wesleyan University
> School of Music
> Bloomington, IL 61702-2900
> (309) 556-3268
>
> A Clarinetist's Revenge is sometimes personified by the following excerpt
> from the London Daily News, circa 1926:
>
> "The saxophone is a long metal instrument bent at both ends. It is alleged
> to be musical. As regards markings, the creature has a series of tiny taps
> stuck upon it, apparently at random. These taps are very sensitive: when
> touched they cause the instrument to utter miserable sounds suggesting
> untold agony. Sometimes it bursts into tears. At either end there is a
> hole. People, sometimes for no reason at all, blow down the small end of
> the saxophone which then shrieks and moans."
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail: klarinet-unsubscribe@-----.org
> Subscribe to the Digest: klarinet-digest-subscribe@-----.org
> Additional commands: klarinet-help@-----.org
> Other problems: klarinet-owner@-----.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail: klarinet-unsubscribe@-----.org
Subscribe to the Digest: klarinet-digest-subscribe@-----.org
Additional commands: klarinet-help@-----.org
Other problems: klarinet-owner@-----.org

   
     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact charette@woodwind.org