Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000102.txt from 2000/07

From: Richard Bush <>
Subj: Re: [kl] extra keys & fingering question
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:19:13 -0400

"Dee D. Hays" wrote:

> (clip to last paragraph)
> Just a quick comment on terminology here. On clarinets that have the three
> rings on the upper joint, there is actually another Eb/Bb fingering and it
> is referred to as the forked Eb/Bb. So if you mean the Eb/Bb with the
> sliver key, it would be wise to pick another term to avoid confusion.
> Dee Hays

I do believe there is confusion about the term "fork."

If one considers the eating utensil fork, there are tines and spaces between
them. From an acoustical view point, a forked fingering is one that represents
a venting of closed, open and then closed. (This acoustical "latticework" is
certainly familiar to anyone who plays recorders.) An example of this on
clarinet is the 1 and 1 fingering for Eb/Bb, or the fingering that utilizes the
linkage between the two main sections of the soprano clarinet.

>From an acoustical perspective, there are other fingerings that fit into this
closed-open-closed category that one would not normally consider fork
fingerings. Possibly the most common is the low B natural and second register
F# when fingered with the middle finger of the right hand. Is not the pad at
the top of the bottom ring key closed? Is not the first finger hole for the
right hand open? And, is not the next finger hole closed?

The other common fingering for low B natural or F# is played with the first
finger of the right hand and the "sliver" key.

I propose that some folks consider the sliver key to be the tine of a fork and
therefore call it a fork fingering.

Isn't nomenclature fun????????

Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail:
Subscribe to the Digest:
Additional commands:
Other problems:

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact