Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000506.txt from 1999/04

From: ROBERT ABRAHAM <rkabear@-----.net>
Subj: [kl]Duke
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:11:28 -0400

Just some thoughts for those people on this list who assume all people he=
re
*CAN* look up the easy stuff...

> >From: <Jcadie@-----.com>
> > In a message dated 4/9/99 8:12:20 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > But ...
> > Some information is _very_ easy to find, some not. It'd be nice if
> > people would try to find the easy information on their own, and turn
> > to the list for the harder stuff. For instance, finding the clarinet
> > instructor at Duke was very, very easy: I didn't even use a search
> > engine, just tried www.duke.edu, went to the college of Arts & =

> > Sciences, looked for music and faculty, and searched for "clarinet" o=
n
> > the faculty page. 30 seconds, tops (on a fast connection).

First, not everyone on this list has access to the web. Many people on th=
is
list only have e-mail access from work terminals/PCs and *CANNOT* access =
the
web. They cannot access what you say is *easy stuff* to find. I work for
companies every day who only give web access to certain employees, and th=
e
rest have just e-mail access, because (the company thinks) they have no
particular need for the internet to do their job. A lot of these people d=
o not
have a computer or web access at home either. This list is invaluable to =
those
people because they *CAN'T* get their clarinet answers cruising the web.

Secondly, some people on this list (and in every walk of life) are not sa=
vvy
enough with computers to search the web easily. Just because someone has =
an
e-mail account from a well known provider of internet service (i.e. @-----.=
com)
doesn't mean they *KNOW* how to surf the internet, just that they have e-=
mail
access, and maybe do instant messages with friends. I have LOTS of friend=
s
here in New York and in other cities who have AOL or other providers and =
use
their computers only for e-mail access or to send an "instant message" he=
re
and there because of time constraints or just lack of know-how. I try to =
help
my friends as best as I can, but some of them will *never* be able to
successfully surf the web...it's not their forte in life. This list gives=
them
access to worldly clarinet knowledge because of the composition of the pe=
ople
on the list, and to deprive them of accessing that knowledge because they=
are
not good enough on the computer to find the *easy* things on the net ahea=
d of
time is rather aloof and rude (something us computer geeks can easily fal=
l
into unless we remember how we felt when we started using a computer).
Although I fancy myself as very computer savvy (I do high level e-mail an=
d
network consulting work), I can remember being lost on the internet 12 ye=
ars
ago when I started. I wish I had access then to a resource like Klarinet =
to
ask about things with my music career, and might have taken some differen=
t
roads in the path to where I am now. I would have been the one to have as=
ked
questions like, "Who teaches at (John Doe University) and what are they l=
ike?
Would they be a good teacher for what I want to do with my life?" =

> > Gee, do ya think that maybe the person asked about an instructor at
> > Duke so perhaps they could also get a reference from someone? Like, =

> > oh yeah that's bill smith who teaches there and he is a really great =

> > teacher. Just a thought. I really didn't think it was necessary to =

> > jump down that person's throat like that. (Sorry I didn't catch the =

> > name of the person who posted)

Thirdly, (I'm agreeing on this one) the original question wanted to know =
who
the Duke clarinet instructor is *and* information on the teacher...there =
might
be more than one, or an adjunct teacher who was better, or maybe a teache=
r
outside of the school who was better to take from if he/she asking the
question was not a clarinet major, and wanted to find the best teacher. T=
he
original post sounded like it came from someone wanting information of th=
e
teacher and what they were like personally and professionally. That's
something you *WON'T* find on the Duke website. =

Anyway...off my soapbox. =

By the way...for those interested in how *my* Mozart Requiem performance =
in
New York City went (I was the one who asked a few weeks ago if anyone kne=
w how
to find a basset horn on short notice when the one I was renting fell thr=
ough)
it went REALLY well. I ended up transposing down a fourth (something I do=
n't
so often) and the 2nd player did also (he couldn't get one either). I had=
a
blast. The singers were quite good for a church choir, and the ensemble t=
hat
played (partial orchestra with organ filling in parts) worked really well=

together. (P.S. Thanks Dan for the info a while back on the Requiem. Even=

though I *couldn't* play it on basset horn, it helped a lot!)

Anyway, thanks for enduring the long post...

Kelly Abraham
Woodwinds/Computer Geek
New York City
*************************************************************************=
*
> > =

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D=
1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe from Klarinet, e-mail: klarinet-unsubscribe@-----.org
Subscribe to the Digest: klarinet-digest-subscribe@-----.org
Additional commands: klarinet-help@-----.org
Other problems: klarinet-owner@-----.org

   
     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact charette@woodwind.org