Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 001427.txt from 1998/03

From: "Alan M. Rothenberg" <>
Subj: Bass Cl. Notation - A Puzzle?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:53:10 -0500

I've always wondered why notating a Bass Cl. part in Bass clef
is called "German notation" and Treble clef is called "French
notation". In my experience, music from a French publisher
is usually in Bass clef, and from a German publisher in
Treble clef.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

- A. Rothenberg
Bryn Mawr, PA

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact