Klarinet Archive - Posting 000797.txt from 1998/03
From: Josh-Boy <joshcole@-----.Edu>
Subj: Re: Mould on reeds
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:43:45 -0500
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Stephen J Frederick wrote:
> I found that you dont need bleech to get rid of the mold, because this
> often occurs with my reeds. what i found you could is get a piece of sand
> paper and rub it over the read gently until the mold comes off.
I'm not a biologist or anything, so I'm probably setting myself up for
this -- but, um, doesn't mold grow into the reed and not just on? I
remember seeing a magnified photograph of bread mold way back in junior
high, and I could have sworn it had extensions growing into the bread for
purposes of nutrition. In which case, sanding really wouldn't get rid of
the mold, right? It's kind of like hacking away at weeds -- you can
"kill" the weeds as many times as you want, but until the roots are dead,
the weeds stay and grow. Let me know if I'm way off track (and I know you
all will!!!) -- if I'm right (which has a probability of about 1 in a few
billion of happening!! ;-) ), then I think the 10% bleach solution will
work best. Besides, I always mess up sanding my reeds anyway, so sanding
the part of the reed I play on would cause bad things to happen!!
Joshua M. Coleman
(Under construction always because I have NO TIME to do anything with it!)
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to
see it, do the other trees make fun of it?
If an elephant falls, which suffers more: the elephant or the ground?