Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000945.txt from 1997/12

From: "Edwin V. Lacy" <>
Subj: Re: "//" What's my name?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 16:44:11 -0500

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Frederick S. Sterns wrote:

> I know this prominent marking ["//"] is called [phoenetically!] a
> "cze-szoora"...but [believe it!] none of my dictionaries or other
> musical pubs mention it...or at least I can't find it. Would someone
> give the correct spelling? [I can't believe it isn't in the basic
> musical dictionary...everybody has run into "railroad tracks" at some
> point.]

Try "caesura." (Latin, past participle of "cadere," to cut). In music, I
think the word refers to what happens at that point rather than to the
sign itself. I would call that a double slash, or something equally
mundane. For a caesura to occur would not require that particular
marking. It could be indicated by a rest, a grand pausa, a fermata over a
barline, and possibly others.

Ed Lacy
Dr. Edwin Lacy University of Evansville
Professor of Music 1800 Lincoln Avenue
Evansville, IN 47722 (812)479-2754

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact