Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000926.txt from 1997/09

From: Karl Krelove <>
Subj: Re: reed "cuts"
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:03:59 -0400

At 10:21 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Someone asked me about the difference between "French" or single-cut
>reeds, and double cut. While I had an idea, can anyone fill out what the
>difference is?
Single cut reeds have an oval or round shape where the bark begins (ends?).
Double cut reeds are stripped of bark up to a straight line and then the
taper is cut, so the bark line is straight. I think the double-cut ones are
called "French cut." Dave Blumberg, I haven't used regular VanDorens in a
while, but my recollection is the bark is cut the same way (straight or
double-cut) on regular and V12's. LasVoz, Lurie, and Rico are all single
cut, some brands (Queens, for one) can be bought cut either way.


     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact