Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000014.txt from 1995/03

From: Neil Leupold <Neil_Leupold@-----.COM>
Subj: RE>Re- Spelling
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:03:58 -0500

Reply to: RE>Re: Spelling
David Gilman wrote:

"The spelling I have always used for the first entry is "clarinetist." I
believe the British preference has two t's. Just as a historical curiosity,
there was a variant spelling of "clarinet" around the turn of the century as
'clarionet.' Also, does anyone out there still use "hautboy" in
place of "oboe?"

I believe the term "clarionet" was originally used in reference to the
comparison of the clarinet to the _clarion trumpet_ in the early 1700's,
relative to its ability to produce a high penetrating sound upon the addition
of the register hole to its design. Suddenly, the possibilities for the
production of overtones (and therefore the widely extended range of the
then-shaum) was opened up. There's a good amount of literature on the subject,
none of it totally conclusive, but many scholars site the addition of the
register key as the pivotal point at which the shaum was no longer a shaum, but
a bona fide clarinet.

As far as spelling is concerned, I believe the distinction between American vs.
British spelling is valid. Even in the Feb '95 edition of BBC Music magazine,
the section on new music releases has a small feature on a Mozart wind concerto
compilation referring to Jack Brymer as a "clarinettist". I suppose they would
use two t's even if they were referring to David Shifrin or Charles Neidich.

Is "Hautboy" a real word? I'm familiar with "Hautbois" (pronounced "oh -
bwah"), wherein "haut" means "high" and "bois" means "wood". Thus, "high


     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact