Advertising and Web Hosting on Woodwind.Org!

Klarinet Archive - Posting 000172.txt from 1993/12

From: Tom Ascher <U15310@-----.EDU>
Subj: clarinet materials
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 14:43:24 -0500

I've been thinking about obstacles to the adoption of other materials
for the clarinet. Obviously, sound quality, ease of manufacture, cost
of alternate materials, etc. are crucial. But, assuming these hurdles
are leaped, what do you CALL them? I mean, we still call the flute
a WOODwind because it sort of hides in the orchestra and is still
surrounded by woods. But, if you once start making clarinets out of
metal, and then oboes and bassoons, what do you CALL that section?
BRASS? BRASSwinds? You can't call them reeds (flute exclusion).
PLASTICS? SYNTHETICS? How about COMPOSIWINDS? Doesn't exactly roll
off the tongue, does it!

     Copyright © Woodwind.Org, Inc. All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy    Contact